Thursday 25 July 2013

The importance of 'Free Play'.




Having 'free play' time as a child is exceptionally important. This type of play is also known as child-led. This form of play builds confidence and self-esteem in your child, increases their use of language, imagination and creative skills.

Your child might often have free play already, they might have access to all their toys, or they might have a particular favourite thing they like to do if given the choice.

My children are not quite like this, and it's probably my fault. I give them lots of invitations to play (based on their own interests largely so not all bad) and so I guess they don't really have to think for themselves. As a consequence when I NEED to get on and do things (like housework, admin and general monotonous tasks) they can often seem a bit lost. They are used to me preparing and leading play. Having realised this of late I have made a promise that this Summer I will pull back a bit and let them take over the play..even if I do think 'Cars again! Really?!'

Take this morning for example. My 4 year old had requested his cars AGAIN. I have to fight with all my being to stop myself saying 'Really?!' Instead I let him loose. As a consequence he has been playing beautifully the whole day with his cars, adding things to them from his varying collections of things, using his imagination to make up stories, characters and plot points. No doubt his learning from this is so abundant...and for once I had nothing to do with it, and it's probably because I had nothing to do with it.

My little one, nearly 2, then decides it's a perfectly fun thing to do to run through the washing and squeal with delight. Who am I to argue? He's getting plenty of physical exercise...he is a very physical child anyway so he clearly knows what he needs too.

Funny really, I actively encourage education through play, and yes family should be involved absolutely. However what I am learning, after having forgotten really, is that play IS education...so no matter what that play is (even if it's repetitive or running through washing!) is important, it is valuable.

Some rather special things happened today when they had free play time. My 4 year old insisted he didn't want any help with his chosen activity. My 2 year old played entirely on his own without badgering me or his older brother. And me? I am actually getting some things done.

So maybe this is the way forward. Maybe some invitations of play are snubbed because there is a definite and REAL NEED to have that free play.

It's a lesson that most of learn slowly as parents, and as we evolve as parents but maybe we need to TRUST that our children know what they need, that they will learn what they need to learn when they feel they are ready within themselves.  That decided, free play is actually vital to development.

So next time your little one wants to play with something (and I am not talking the TV or the playstation!) let them. If they want to paint, let them and actually even if after 10 mins they walk away here's a crazy thought...LEAVE the paint there. Let them have that open ended play. Chances are they will probably return to it and create something rather beautiful ;)

Running through the washing, a game he created and loved!



Love OMM xxx

1 comment:

  1. This is great and makes so much sense! I was very imaginative as a child and could entertain myself for hours. X

    ReplyDelete